Sunday, August 21, 2011

Natural Cortisone Update

I apologize for taking so long to post. I guess the last five months finally caught up with me. I am still not feeling one hundred percent. Thirty one days ago I started a fast (for cleansing and the additional benefit of saving some money). I am on day 31 without any solid food. I am starting to feel better and can actually fit into my clothes again. Thank God because I certainly cannot afford to buy new ones!  But you are looking for Pinuki updates....

I cancelled the last veterinary appointment. At the time she was stable and for economic reasons I am trying to prioritize appointments. Nuki continues on the doxycycline - 150mg twice a day. She was given 60mg of natural hydrocortisone for two weeks. The majority of that time I saw no evidence of external bleeding. Most concerning symptoms "faded" over time. Thursday we halved the dosage of natural hydrocortisone to 30mg twice a day. She continued to do well. Yesterday, I tried her on one dose and this morning it was clear she needed both. Perhaps not that dosage, but she needs the medication twice a day. As grateful as I am there is no obvious bleeding, it is hard having her on a steroid. In someways, this is the sickest she has been. Her thirst has increased as has her urine output. She is ravenous and thin ("boney" thin). Her coat is oily and she sweats. She does not want to go for walks (I don't know if it is because she wants to get back to her source of food, or lethargy). I am most concerned about the color of her gums. One night they were nearly white! I started feeding her calves liver again - 1/2 a cup a day. I am giving her heme iron polypeptide. I am also giving 100% organic carrot juice. I bought a can of beans for her, but when I opened it up, there was liquid but no beans! [Yet another mystery to ponder!]  In other words, I am trying to give foods to support healing. Her gums have become pinker, but not much. [The picture to the right is a good representation of the current color of her gums and tongue]. According to Dr. Pema at VHC, it takes two weeks, once bleeding stops, for red blood cells to replenish. 

So, we are off to see Dr. Maniet on Tuesday afternoon.