Nuki's bleeds are getting worse - not significantly - but getting worse none-the-less. As mentioned in an earlier post, the status change maybe allergy related (according to me). Discouraged and trying to stay on top of things, I decided to go ahead with an abdominal ultrasound (thanks to Nuki's sponsors who made it possible). I resisted for months. It was recommended by Dr. Saylor, Dr. Maniet, Dr. Smith (MRI vet), Dr. Franz (internist) and Dr. Kay (Speaking for Spot). My gut told me it would be normal, but the anxiety of not knowing definitively, the multiple recommendations and the continued bleeding prompted me to concede. [I am extremely grateful to Mary Straus of Dogaware http://www.dogaware.com/about.html for all her support, even though ultimately my anxiety won out over my instincts, I agreed with her "ideas." She and her website are an invaluable resource].
Pinuki's gallbladder. liver, spleen, kidneys, adrenal glands, urinary bladder, stomach, small intestine and colon are all normal. In other words, Nuki has a normal abdomen. I am grateful. Jean has posted the results on Nuki's Longlease page http://bernese.biz/fundraiserPinuki.htm
A Complete Blood Count was done. Her hematocrit is now normal. She gained a couple of pounds. The MCV and MCH counts are low and the platelet count is high (although lower than it was 7 weeks ago). I think this means she has iron deficiency anemia, most likely secondary to chronic hemorrhaging. I will follow-up with the vets.
To sum up, Pinuki's nosebleeds continue daily, throughout the day; cause unknown; still the only symptom.
In the meantime, my abdomen increased two pants sizes and I recently found out the integrity of my clotting system has been compromised by a vitamin K deficiency. So welcome to my household - one dog with epistaxis, one dog at risk of epistaxis and me with clotting problems. Life is such an adventure!