So, what I need to know is: What the vets recommend we do next? Does the fact that the Doxycycline has effected improvement mean the cause of the nasal bleeding is an infection? If Nuki continues on the Doxycycline for additional time, might it cure the infection? Since the Doxycycline worked up to a point, should we continue the Doxy and add something like Clindamycin?
Sunday, July 17, 2011
What Next
This week Pinuki will complete a six week course of Doxycycline. The symptom, nasal bleeding, has significantly improved since taking the medication. Nonetheless, she continues to have nasal discharge daily – blood, deep red, primarily from her left nostril. It rarely hits the floor and often, I wipe it away with a small cotton ball. In terms of the nasal discharge, there has been no improvement beyond that point for several weeks. Last week she started sounding “congested,” was sneezing more, had minimal discharge from her eyes (primarily in the morning) and the nasal bleeding increased slightly. I am guessing she is having an allergic reaction and I started giving her Benadryl again. That helps some. She continues to have no other primary symptoms.(that I can ascertain). Appetite is good. Elimination is normal. Symptoms secondary to hemorrhaging have improved significantly (i.e. gums are deep pink, energy level has increased). I suspect her hematocrit level is now normal.
So, what I need to know is: What the vets recommend we do next? Does the fact that the Doxycycline has effected improvement mean the cause of the nasal bleeding is an infection? If Nuki continues on the Doxycycline for additional time, might it cure the infection? Since the Doxycycline worked up to a point, should we continue the Doxy and add something like Clindamycin?
I will do a CBC but under the circumstances, I wonder if an abdominal ultrasound is necessary at this point?
So, what I need to know is: What the vets recommend we do next? Does the fact that the Doxycycline has effected improvement mean the cause of the nasal bleeding is an infection? If Nuki continues on the Doxycycline for additional time, might it cure the infection? Since the Doxycycline worked up to a point, should we continue the Doxy and add something like Clindamycin?