Saturday, June 11, 2011

Difficult Choices

Giving Nuki up would break my heart (if there is something worse than a broken heart, it would do that). I think it would break her's too. I would only do it if it meant she gets the medical care she needs, and I cannot afford. But in an attempt to prevent that, I have had a yard sale, am in the process of selling some of my belongings, incurred $15,000 in debt - including using the equity in my home - and am now soliciting donations (which is excruciatingly humbling but probably good for me). To save money, I am going to have my puppy spayed through a clinical trial.

I also accept full responsibility for choosing a breed that I was fully aware is at risk of significant health problems. From the beginning, I established a saving account for Nuki's medical care and made deposits biweekly. It is now depleted and closed. The money I used to put in it will now go to the debt I incurred in her behalf. I put more money in Nuki's account than my retirement fund. And I am happy to do it - truly.

I have taken a proactive approach when it comes to Nuki's health. I do not think any of us would have anticipated what Nuki is experiencing and the vets have never seen anything like it. She has seen six of the best vets in the country - perhaps the world. And this is not done. We are looking at the possibilities of more diagnostics and surgeries. And I promise you - this is not a dog any of you would euthanize if you met her and reviewed her medical records http://bernese.biz/fundraiserPinuki.htm. If she were euthanized at this point, it would be solely for economic reasons and that is not an option for me. I would consider giving her up before that and suspect that you can understand. There are some things, no matter how hard we try, we simply cannot prepare for.